The Special Discount Card (SDC) offered by RTD provides 50% fare reduction for people with disabilities on all regular bus and light/commuter rail services. The SDC is not valid on Access-a-Ride.
Seniors (aged 65+)
If you are a senior (65+) you do not need to apply for the RTD Special Discount ID Card. As a senior, you already qualify for discounted fares by presenting a valid government-issued photo ID card (driver's license, non-driver's ID or passport) as a proof of age. Please provide proof of eligibility when boarding.
Proof of eligibility
If you are riding with a discounted pass or ticket, you must be able to present proof of eligibility every time you ride.
- Seniors, age 65+: photo ID showing passenger's age, Medicare card or RTD-issued Special Discount Card
- Middle and High School Students showing a current student ID or proof of current school enrollment
- Elementary school students proof of eligibility not required
- Individuals with disabilities: RTD-issued Special Discount Card or Medicare card
Individuals with a disability
Individuals with disabilities may obtain a special discount card. Read eligibility requirements and learn how to apply for a card below.
U.S. military ride for free
Active duty members of the U.S. military currently ride for free on all RTD services. See conditions.
Special Discount Card
RTD's Special Discount Card (SDC) provides proof of eligibility for discount fares. Review eligibility requirements and learn how to apply for or replace a special discount card:
Eligibility requirements for new, expired or renewal cards
In order to be eligible for an SDC, you must provide proof of your disability. One of the following original items will be accepted as proof of disability:
- Medicare Card: White, Red and Blue card — Medicaid card will not be accepted
- Social Security Disability Insurance or Supplemental Security Income: Provide a current Benefits Verification Letter issued by the Social Security Administration Office stating that you are receiving benefits as a Disabled Individual — must be dated within the last year
- Official Veterans Affairs (VA) Letter: that states at least a 50% service connected disability - must be dated within the last year
- Healthcare Provider Statement Form: See Healthcare Provider Statement Form below; form must have been signed and dated by the healthcare provider within the last three months (90 days). Healthcare Professionals, if applicant meets the eligibility criteria, please attach a statement on your professional letterhead noting the name and diagnosis of the applicant and describing in detail how the applicant meets the eligibility criteria.
No other proof of disability will be accepted. No photocopies, faxes or emails will be accepted.
How to apply
Initial card will be issued at no cost. Applicant must bring in person the original proof of disability and a valid government-issued photo ID card to one of the following RTD locations:
- 1600 Blake Street, Denver
Monday - Thursday, 9:00 a.m.- 12:00 noon and 1:00p.m.- 4:00p.m.
Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon and 1:00p.m.- 3:00p.m.
see note above about construction
- 1400 Walnut Street, Boulder
Monday Only, 12:00 noon - 2:00 p.m.
Photos will not be taken on the following days: New Year's Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Presidents' Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Day after Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day.
RTD will accept a valid government-issued photo ID card (driver's license, non-driver's ID or passport). Photocopies of I.D. cards and other forms of non-government photo identification will not be accepted.
Upon approval of your eligibility, you will be issued an SDC, which will entitle you to use any bus or rail services by paying a reduced-cash fare, purchasing Day or Monthly pass or 10-Ride Ticket Books at a discounted rate available for sale on buses, at sales outlets, and from ticket vending machines at rail stations.
Personal attendants, aides and trainers
Personal attendants, aides and trainers accompanying passengers who have a disability are permitted to ride for free.
Lost, Stolen or Damaged Cards Replacement
To replace a lost or stolen SDC, go to the locations above at the times listed. Any lost or stolen card will be replaced at a charge of $5.00 to a maximum of five cards replaced in one year. Damaged cards will be replaced at no charge; however, the damaged card must be presented at the time of being reissued.
Discount bus and rail Fares
|Local & Limited
1-2 rail fare zones
3 rail fare zones
airport fare zone
|$11.75||$20.25||travel to DIA requires an upgrade|
|Monthly Pass||$49||$85||included in Regional/Airport Monthly Pass|
Discount Airport/SkyRide Fare
One-way Airport/SkyRide discount fare is $4.50 ($4.35 when using a MyRide card) regardless of where you board a SkyRide bus or University of Colorado A Line rail train with an airport destination/departure.